Mussels in a delicious Thai style broth bursting with flavor served over a rice corn combination.
2 C jasmine rice
4 C water
1 t salt
2 ears of fresh corn on cob
1/3 C water
Pinch of salt
1 t butter
2 ½ pounds mussels
3 C chicken broth or fish stock
5-6 dried hot chilies
3 inch lemon grass quartered
2 inches fresh ginger peeled and sliced
5 garlic cloves smashed
1 serano chili quartered optional¹
To Create Final Dish
1 Roma tomato deseeded and chopped
1 lemon juiced
1/3 C cilantro chopped
1 T fish sauce
- In medium pan, add rice and water and bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer until rice is cooked until tender.
- Wash corn and remove silk.
- Remove corn kernels from cob and add to small saucepan with water and butter.
- Cook until el dente then season. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Scrub mussels and remove beards.²
- In large sauce pan, bring broth, chilies, lemon grass, ginger, and garlic cloves to a boil.
- Add mussels, cover and cook until mussels open or about 5-7 minutes.
- Discard mussels that do not open.
Assemble Final Dish
- Stir hot rice and corn together and divide into four large soup/pasta bowls.
- Remove mussels from broth and place on rice corn mixture.
- Strain broth and then add tomato, lemon. cilantro, and fish sauce mixture and stir.
- Ladle this this broth equally into the four bowls and serve.
¹We like spicy food so we added the extra chili to the broth.
²Our farm raised mussels usually are pretty clean and have few beards.
One thought on “Mussels in Thai Style Broth”
I love mussels, never tried them with this kind of broth, challenge accepted!